Glenwood Cemetery is a separate entity managed by Loyalist Township adjacent to St. Paul’s. It is about three quarters of a mile from the Amherst Island Ferry dock on the road to south shore, on the left hand side on a hill beside St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church. The cemetery lies south of the Church and to the east of the Church Manse. It is for the use of all religious denominations.
The first burial was made in this Cemetery on June 22, 1886. Alexander Glenn remains were interred in a field of barley. Subsequent planting of Maple trees resulted in the cemetery being named “Glenwood Cemetery”. Today many of the trees are of original growth. The original cemetery purchased in April 1886 was approximately two acres and in 1977 given the need for additional area for burials, approximately two and a half acres of property was purchased.
The cemetery is picture perfect, on a quiet Island, shady and calm.